RE: Exchange Server 2003 - DB Dismounted - What ha ppens to incoming email?

  • From: "David Wilhoit" <kidego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:08:47 -0400

You must have MTA Stacks service to run the Exchange 2000 and Exchange
2003 "Move User" operation, and for message transfer between Exchange
2000 and Exchange 2003-based servers and X.400-based servers. When a
mailbox is being moved, it is marked as "in transit" by the information
store. Any mail that is delivered to the source store during the move
will be held until the move is complete. After the mailbox move is
complete, any queued messages are submitted to the Exchange 2000 MTA
service for delivery to the new server. If the MTA service is not
running, any mail that is delivered while the mailbox is being moved
will be stranded. Additionally, the Exchange product group does not
perform testing with the MTA service disabled. It is considered a core
Exchange service, and it should not be disabled. 

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810489

In other words, these specific instances in a native mode environment,
and in mixed mode with  a 5.5 server, it handles message flow. So while
they don't support the disable, it doesn't really hurt anything in
regards to mail flow. 


David Wilhoit
Microsoft Exchange MVP
kidego@xxxxxxxxxx





-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Merrique [mailto:j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 6:20 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Exchange Server 2003 - DB Dismounted - What
ha ppens to incoming email?

http://www.MSExchange.org/

That's interesting, so what is the purpose of the MTA in an Exchange
2003 only setup?

Cheers,

Jason 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Wilhoit [mailto:kidego@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: 22 July 2004 21:57
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Exchange Server 2003 - DB Dismounted - 
> What ha ppens to incoming email?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> MTA doesn't need to be running for it to be delievered, unless you 
> have a 5.5 server in your exchange 200x environment. Mail is carried 
> by SMTP between stores after version 5.5. You can stop the MTA and 
> have zero impact on mail flow.
> 
> 
> David Wilhoit
> Microsoft Exchange MVP
> kidego@xxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lara, Greg [mailto:GLara@xxxxxxx]
> Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:52 PM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Exchange Server 2003 - DB Dismounted - 
> What ha ppens to incoming email?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> Theoretically, since the SMTP service is separate from Exchange, as 
> long as that service is running, incoming mail should queue up. Once 
> the store is mounted and the Exchange MTA is running, the next time 
> the SMTP service attempts delivery the mail should be delivered.
> 
> 
> Greg Lara
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> ----
> ---------------------------
> This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential and/or 
> proprietary information intended only for the
> person(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy

> this message, and any attachments, and notify the sender by return 
> e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or 
> agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended 
> recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, 
> disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> ----
> ---------------------------
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Danny [mailto:nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:13 PM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] Exchange Server 2003 - DB Dismounted
> - What happens to incoming email?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> If the mailstore is dismounted, what happens to incoming SMTP email?
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site:
> http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library:
> http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
> http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List 
> as:
> kidego@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site:
> http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library: 
> http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: 
> http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List 
> as: j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> 

------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
kidego@xxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist


Other related posts: