Exchange Server 2003 Configuration

  • From: T <oo7tt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:35:20 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am new to Exchange Server and Active Directory so
please bear with me as my terminology may be confused.

Platform:

I have successfully performed a new install of
Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. The Domain
Controller promotion and Exchnage install went well
and I now need some help with the initial
configuration.

Requirements:

I have ~10 domains, with 20-30 email addresses
associated with each. All users need to be able to
login through the protocol of their choice: POP, IMAP,
or Web Outlook and I would like to enable the mobile
and calendar features for our users and have a public
folder for each domain/organization.

Questions:

(1) The POP3, NNTP, and IMAP services were disabled by
the Exchange Server installation. I have set these to
automatic to send and recieve email, but does anyone
know why they were disabled?

(2) What is the correct hirarchy in Active Directory
for users/mailbox setup (ie. should each domain have
an 'Organizational Unit,' 'Group,' or 'Shared Folder'
to contain/be associated with users)?

(3) When creating users, does every user have a
different name? And if so, how does one resolve the
problem of common user names or aliases like info@,
sales@ etc.?

(4) How do I correctly configure recipient policies
for my setup (do I need one policy for each domain
etc.)?

(5) When I created a new user, they automatically get
email addresses at all of my domains (I think this is
due to my recipient policy configuration). I am not
given the choice of domains to associate the user
with. Every user is set to my primary domain by
default. How do I change this, so that with the
creation of each new user I am given the choice of
domains to associate that user with?

(6) In Exchange System manager should I create a
different store for each domain/organization? Are
there any pros/cons I should know about?

(7) How do I check mailboxes like 'System Attendant'
and 'System Mailbox'?

(8) How do I create aliases and virtual users? Is
there a central location/flat file where I can edit
all users?

I realize this is a lot to ask, and answers to any of
my questions would be much appreciated. Please CC my
email address in your response (info@xxxxxxxxxx).

Thank you in advance,

Tyrone