Exchange SP2

  • From: Jabber Wock <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:00:04 -0500

Hi all,

I was reading through the release notes, as I am planning to install this on
our Exchange servers.  I noticed a few things:

a) The Offline Address Book has a new version 4.0, and it mentions
that Office 2003 SP2 is required.  Is this Office 2003 SP2 for workstations
(user computers)?  Or is this Office SP2 to be installed on the server?  We
do not normally install Office 2003 on any servers but it was not clear to
me from the release notes whether we need to download and install this on
the server regardless.

b) What are the ramifications of user computers NOT having the latest Office
2003 SP2 update (and hence support for OAB 4.0)?  Will this cause any
problems?  Or will they simply be unable to use some new fancy OAB feature?
Will users start being bombarded with any error messages telling them to
update to Office SP2 all of a sudden?  Or will this mismatch be a silent
harmless affair? (Exchange 2003 SP2 on server, Office updates not up to SP2
on client computer)

c) I also noticed that there is a new .NET 2.0.  Is this needed for
Exchange?  Is there any harm in installing .NET 2.0 even if its not needed (
i.e. Exchange uses older version of .NET)