Exchange Restore

  • From: "Anil Chopra" <achopra7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:07:41 +0530

Dear all,

We have exchange 2000 implemented in Front-end-Backend format. 4 days back our
Backend exchange crashed. I installed a new exchange server on a different
machine and restored offline backup of the server which crashed. The very next
day we installed exchange on the older box (on which exchange had crashed).
Exchange got installed peacefully, offline database got restored. Users
mailboxes were connected without any problem. Users were also able to open
their mailboxes.

When we checked internal and external mail flow we found that mails were able
to come in but we had problems in sending messages out to internet. We were
able to send mails to users internally but whenever we sent messages to
internet the message went in the queue "Mails with unreachable destination" We
were not able to send messages to front end server. Even exchange in other
sites had messages in the queue "unreachable destination"

Finally we had to move back to the new server. The sequence of event was as
follows:

Server 1 with the name Exch1 crashed.
Server2 with the new name Exch2 installed
Database of Server1 restored at Server2
Server-installed with the name Exch1
Database of Server2 restored at Server1

Any help on the above would be highly appreciated.

Regards..Anil