RE: Exchange Ofline Defrag

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:35:34 -0500

While you're asking the question about defrag, I'll ask it again.  Why, when
using Exchange 200x would you ever want to take the time to defrag??!!  Why
wouldn't you create another mailbox store, move the users to it, and then
remove the old one?  What's the benefit?

That said, you can take the store down, copy the files elsewhere and perform
the defrag on another machine. You'll want to perform that full backup to
commit the logs prior and for safety.  Copy the defragged files back and
remount the store.

You could, but why?