Exchange Migration

  • From: "Eric Lanyon" <ELanyon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:48:15 -0800

I am looking at migrating from Win/Exchange 2000 to 2003 later this
year.  Does anyone have any best practices or any gotchas I should look
for?  I am going to be attempting it first in a test-bed (obviously)
then out on production machines.  The migration will occur on new
hardware, so doing an in-place upgrade will most likely not happen
(though it might at a remote office or two).  I have read this article
<> ,
but am curious what anyone who has done might be able to contribute.  My
idea was to setup a new DC on 2000, do an in-place upgrade to 2003.
Then subsequent DCs be installed with 2003  After setting up a 2003
server (non-DC) install Exchange 2003 and move the mailboxes over to the
new box.  Is that a good approach?  I have heard that you can have two
Exchange servers and quarterly upgrade the non-used box with the latest
patches and then move mailboxes to it.  That'll defrag the DB and clean
out orphan emails, etc.  A good approach?

TIA for the advice,