Exchange HELP NEEDED Please!

  • From: "Marc" <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:38:09 -0700

I am running a Server with Windows 2000 Small Business Server which
includees exchange 2000.

The server is hosting INTERNAL email for 20 users. The server is NOT live
on the internet and is not hosting External Email or a web Site.

The Client machines (running Windows 2000 Pro) have Outlook 200 installed
and are set using an exchange mailbox. In the same outlook profile i have
also set a pop3 mail account for external email.

Internet is accessed through an adsl router connected to the 24port cisco
switch.

The Internal and external mail both work fine. but sometimes and it can be
quite frequent when a mail is sent from outlook to an external address an
error message is returned from the exchange server staing that the message
could not be delivered.

This does not always happen .... it seems that sometimes the mail goes
through the the exchange account set up on outlook.

I have tried to seperate the pop3 and the exchange account.. in 2
different outlook profiles and that seemed to have solved the problem but
it is quite cumbersome for the user to have to switch profiles between
internal and external accounts.

Is there anything i can do to solve the problem .?

The External email addresses of the users is <username>@maltats.com whilst the
internal address is <username>@maltats.local

Also for some strtange reason when sending an external email the recieving
end recieves the email but he tries to reply to it the address comes up as
@maltats.local which obviously results in an error sincec he can not send
to the local address from an external site.

Please help anyone .?
Thanks
Marc