[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange Global Address Lists

  • From: "Steve Frechette" <stevef@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:59:39 -0500

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone.

BTW, what attachment?

Enjoy the day,

Steve Frechette

Network Administrator

CCI

  _____

From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Simon Butler
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:57 PM
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] Re: Exchange Global Address Lists

Are you sure that you want to do that?

I have been asked to put non-company contacts in to the GAL in the past, and
every time I have been asked to remove them again.

Users don't like the pollution of the GAL, particularly if this is sales
type contacts that a small percentage of the user base will actually use.

Then you get problems with keeping it up to date - only user who have the
active directory tools can update content in the GAL, unless you want to do
it. I know I wouldn't want users to have the AD tools on their machine.

As such, the address would quickly fall out of user because users are
inherently lazy and if they have to email someone the changes, they will
not. They will just make a personal note of the change or even setup their
own contact and not use the GAL at all.

Instead, use a public folder then issue instructions on how to set the
public folder as an address book. You can control permissions on the public
folder and users can update the contact immediately and everyone can see the
change.

Not sending emails to a public list with a 20k attachment every time would
be nice as well. We aren't all on broadband. I am currently on site with a
client using a mobile phone for internet access - 9.6k if I am lucky.

Simon.

--
Simon Butler
MVP: Exchange,