RE: Exchange GURU needed! two domains merging

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:08:52 -0400

I thought you said it would be a challenge?!  That's a routine occurrence
AFAIC  ;)

What you need to do, at a high level is to add the domain2.com address as a
primary address and move the current address to a secondary-proxy-address.
Primary is the sending, secondaries are the receiving addresses.  Have about
as many as you want (I'd keep it below 255).

As for the internet, you also have to manage the MX records.  At this point,
you have mail that you send from domain1.com going out as domain2.com.  The
return path is domain2.com's mail handler and you'll have to figure a way
that works for you to get the mail back to your server.  My initial thought,
without knowing your requirements beyond what you've already stated would be
to let the domain2.com host forward the mail to your domain1.com host.
Maybe a custom recipient for each of your domain1.com users would do the
trick.

You want to make sure that the domain2.com host is large and powerful enough
to handle double the load (or whatever it actually is).  You also want to be
sure that the disk space is enough on it if you stop managing the
domain1.com host.

Feel free to ping me offline if I can be of any help.

Al