RE: Exchange Do's and Don'ts

  • From: John Mason <John.Mason.Jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:18:07 -0500

Well I have little experience in Exchange, small company still on 5.5 but
some general thoughts on troubleshooting email;

1. Google/ Search engines are your friend

2. Describe as clearly as possible what you are attempting to do

3. Describe your environment

4. Any error messages

5. http://www.dnsreport.com to check for common errors

6. Use ping, traceroute, telnet for basic connectivity issues

7. More advanced tools nmap, tcptraceroute, ethereal

8. places to check DNSBLs http://www.moensted.dk/ and http://openrbl.org.

9. A properly configured firewall is a neccesity

10. Requesting help in public forums is not paid support, so the better you
prepare the greater the chance of obtaining help.

John