RE: Exchange Do's and Don'ts

  • From: John Mason <John.Mason.Jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:18:07 -0500

Well I have little experience in Exchange, small company still on 5.5 but
some general thoughts on troubleshooting email;

1. Google/ Search engines are your friend

2. Describe as clearly as possible what you are attempting to do

3. Describe your environment

4. Any error messages

5. to check for common errors

6. Use ping, traceroute, telnet for basic connectivity issues

7. More advanced tools nmap, tcptraceroute, ethereal

8. places to check DNSBLs and

9. A properly configured firewall is a neccesity

10. Requesting help in public forums is not paid support, so the better you
prepare the greater the chance of obtaining help.