RE: Exchange Database Recovery to a new server with a new name

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:06:17 -0500

Hi C,
This is a very typical DCP/DRP scenario you are referring to. We have
come up with a similar situation, and a contingency plan to use our UK
site as contingency site for our US operations in such an event. I had
worked and developed a VB based GUI to automatically identify all users
in the failed Exchange server, and move them over to a temporary
recovery server by modifying the related AD attributes. The GUI works
excellent. I had tested the GUI in lab environment with great success.
If you are interested let me know, I can send you the GUI, please try it
out in a lab environment, and please do not distribute the GUI as it
contains my firms logo.

Once you move the users over to the new server using the GUI, you still
need to to be able resolve the old server name in the DNS, but pointing
to the IP of a DC or a living Exchange server. That way Outlook will
automatically reconfigure itself to point to the new server.

Regards,

Raj