RE: Exchange Archiving solution

  • From: Dave stevens <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:56:56 -0800 (PST)

Well said Evan,

  The problem is bringing uniformity to the whole process. I have users
archiving stuff on local drives "which dont get backed up", and in some cases
they might have pst files on different pc, loosing track.  Just like you
suggested a proper archive solution would be desired, but what happens when
that fills up as well.

  I would have thought by now Microsoft would have come up with a proper
archiving solution integrated into Exchange on SQL. Again Pst files do get
corrupt from time to time, and I have seen cases were the inbox repair tool
does not work, and the user looked at me as if I had done something wrong. Well
this was pre outlook 2003 and he had just tipped the 2gb limit. Well is was
sorry and toff.

  Dave

Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  http://www.MSExchange.org/

Her, but that doesn't really matter. There has been no observable
network impact. The server has teamed GigE cards into a Gig ports, and
it's strictly file storage to begin with.

The more important thing is "what happens if it corrupts". Well, I've
had PST's corrupt, and the PST repair tool has saved them every time.
It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R, but it works, and it's typically been minimal
loss. That minimal loss could be the most important mail in the PST,
but that's the risk the users take. Most of these people with huge
PST"s simply don't need them. They like to pack-rat with their large
e-mail attachments, when all they really need is the body. The larger
the PST, the larger the risk, and the slower and less likely recovery.
We've tried countless times to educate users to save attachments to the
network and then remove from the body, but no one listens.

I'd also rather have a PST on the network where it's backed up nightly,
then on a local machine where it is not. Users are advised to shut down
computers nightly, so there is generally (not always) any form of an
open file access issue. Plus our backup agents support open files.

And yes, we have a REAL archival solution (from CommVault) with about 2
1/2 TB's allocated for it currently, but you'd be surprise how fast you
can fill that space if you are not careful, and because of that, there
is still a need for some alternate methods of archiving.