RE: Exchange Archiving solution

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:30:31 -0500

I would say you've been lucky.

I've seen a number of them over the years.

If for no other reason, the primary technical reason would be that the
configuration isn't supported by Microsoft.

I looked into this in depth some years ago, and as I remember it, the
network redirector doesn't have all the levels of file and record-level
locking that are present in local storage. So, those "other levels" are
simulated. The simulation is, as are all simulations, imperfect. Under
certain situations, a PST record on a network drive may not get locked
when it should, and the PST can be corrupted.

Then again, my memory could be bad.