RE: Exchange Archiving solution

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:45:44 -0500

Her, but that doesn't really matter.  There has been no observable
network impact.  The server has teamed GigE cards into a Gig ports, and
it's strictly file storage to begin with.

The more important thing is "what happens if it corrupts".  Well, I've
had PST's corrupt, and the PST repair tool has saved them every time.
It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R, but it works, and it's typically been minimal
loss.  That minimal loss could be the most important mail in the PST,
but that's the risk the users take.   Most of these people with huge
PST"s simply don't need them. They like to pack-rat with their large
e-mail attachments, when all they really need is the body.  The larger
the PST, the larger the risk, and the slower and less likely recovery.
We've tried countless times to educate users to save attachments to the
network and then remove from the body, but no one listens.

I'd also rather have a PST on the network where it's backed up nightly,
then on a local machine where it is not.  Users are advised to shut down
computers nightly, so there is generally (not always) any form of an
open file access issue.  Plus our backup agents support open files.

And yes, we have a REAL archival solution (from CommVault) with about 2
1/2 TB's allocated for it currently, but you'd be surprise how fast you
can fill that space if you are not careful, and because of that, there
is still a need for some alternate methods of archiving.