Exchange 5.5 wont accept some authorized domains from my SMTP rel ay

  • From: Lenny Burns <lenny.burns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:25:08 -0500

I have a SMTP relay that is used to accept all email on behalf of my
company.
I have the same domains listed as acceptable inbound remote domains, as the
list on the routing tab of my exchange server.

I can accept nearly all of the inbound email for all these domains, however,
some email with very similar domain names is not being accepted by the
exchange server when the SMTP IIS5 relay sends it.

example

CONWAYDATA.COM comes in fine.
CONWAYDATA.NET  does not. (it sits in the queue at the SMTP IIs5 server
waiting to be accepted by exchange.)

Here is the eventlog data from the SMTP server.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: smtpsvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4000
Date:  1/9/2003
Time:  11:58:39 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: MAILGUARD
Message delivery to the remote domain 'conwaydata.net' failed for the
following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

Data:
0000: d2 02 04 c0               Ò..À

Both internal and external DNS entries are all identical for each of the
.NET/ORG/COM versions of this domain, the others arrive, yet this one does
not.

What the Heck is going on?!