Exchange 5.5 authentication against Active Directory problem

  • From: Roger Mackenzie <r.mackenzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:45:21 +0100

I'm wondering if anyone has met this scenario. We have 3 Exchange 5.5
servers which have been authenticating fine against an upgraded NT4 to W2K3
domain - all domain and forest levels have been retained as at the upgrade
point. Now one of these servers can authenticate under light load but as
load builds, users receive immediate reprompts for their domain credentials.
The client machines are not members of the domain so this is an
authentication prompt on starting Outlook. All Exchange servers have had W2K
SP4 rollup V2 applied and that might have precipitated the problem. Removing
the upgrade does not change behaviour. If we connect mailboxes using the
service account then there is no problem with immediate access.

Needless to say we're going nuts trying to find the needle in the haystack.

Any hints.

Regards, Roger Mackenzie (Glasgow University)