Exchange 5.5 and remote access using IMAP4

  • From: Jason Davis <JDavis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:07:38 -0800

Hello all,

Recently, I setup remote access to our Exchange Server for IMAP4 by opening
port 143 on our Cisco box.

Although this is tremendously convenient for our users to access their
office email from home, I'm concerned about the security risks.
Most of our users are using Outlook Express from home to access their mail
from the Exchange Server.  I noticed that there is an option for "My Server
Requires Authentication" for Outgoing Mail.  Is there anything I need to
setup on Exchange Server 5.5 to increase the security and require that the
users authenticate for Outgoing Mail?

Any other words of wisdom, in terms of securing Exchange Server 5.5 for
remote email access?

Thanks in advance.

--Jason Davis