RE: Exchange 5.5 & SMTP address

  • From: "Lara, Greg" <GLara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:46:04 -0400

Sherief,
The SMTP address is simply part of the default addressing mechanism, as
distinguished from the SMTP transport protocol used by the IMS. You can use
an SMTP address to send to another mail recipient within the organization,
but because there's no routing information contained in the SMTP address,
Exchange translates that into the X400 address to determine how to deliver
the message. The SMTP address is not required, but it is included by default
because Internet mail is so ubiquitous. Otherwise, the system would have to
generate SMTP addresses once the IMS is installed, as opposed to creating
them with each new mail account regardless of whether the IMS is installed.

Utilizing a POP3 client, including Outlook Express, isn't dependent on
whether the IMS is installed. You can enable the POP3 protocol on any given
server (in fact, I think it's enabled by default), and configure your
clients accordingly. What you don't get with a POP3 client, however, is
access to calendaring functionality or the Global Address List. You can
sometimes configure the client to access the Exchange directory as an LDAP
directory, but I haven't had much success with this, and it's awkward at
best when it does work.

Greg Lara

prohibited.

  _____