Exchange 5.5 Internet Mail Service Unexpectedlly Stops....

  • From: Justin Moebus <jmoebus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:37:51 -0500

First off, I'm new to this list and am glad to have found it.  If its
anything list the winnt list I've been a part of for a long time, I'm sure
it will be helpful (though I can't help here in return as much as I can

Anyway, we run Exchange 5.5 sp4 on W2K sp4.  What's been happening is that
the internet mail service keeps stopping without warning.  Usually, I come
into the office and its not running so its become part of the daily routine
to check on it in the morning.

I've set the service to auto-restart on the first second and third failure
under windows services and that doesn't seem to be working.

I've found all sorts of references at the MS knowledgebase and non seem to
apply - there are no errors listed under the application log like all of the
references in the KB mention.

I've found two ariticles that might be relevant:
MS03-046 and MS03-047

Lacking the same kind of skills with Exchange I have with Windows, I'm kind
of at a loss.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to solve this problem?  Are the
patches found under those Security Bulletins what I'm looking for?

Any help would be apprecated.