Exchange 5.5 0cx0020005 "Access is denied" error

  • From: "Abbott, K. Zachary" <kzabbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:07:12 -0700

I am running Exchange 5.5, SP4 atop Windows 2000, SP4.  This is in an Active
Directory domain, where my main DC is a Win2003 server, although I have
another Win2K server that hosts the Exchange AD connector.

I'm getting a strange error from within the Exchange Administrator

When logged on with the Service Account , if I try to change the permissions
on any object (say, add permissions to a mailbox, or create a new mailbox
and then link it to a Primary Windows NT account), I get an "Access is
denied" error, Microsoft Windows NT ID no 0cx0020005

Note:  this does not matter whether this is on the Exchange Server box
itself, the Win2K Server with the AD connector, or my own workstation on
which I have installed the Exchange Admin tools.

I found a couple of articles in TechNet that suggested registry permissions
errors, but I checked my registry and the settings were what the articles

I think this may have started back when I changed the password for the
Service Account, although I'm not certain.

I'm really at a loss here and would welcome any insight anyone on this list
might have.

K. Zachary Abbott, MCSE
Systems/Network Manager, Information Services
Development and Alumni Relations
California Institute of Technology
(626) 395-2177
There's only one.  Caltech.