RE: Exchange 2k Server as Domain Controller

  • From: "Scott Van Singel" <svansingel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:49:22 -0500

I have had our server go down 4 times since we implemented Exchange2000.
The first thing the techs (at Microsoft) would ask is, "is your Exchange server
a Domain controller?"
It always seemed that they sounded relieved that the server was not a DC.
I also talked to some Techs about the Global Catalog being on another server.
If you have Exchange as a DC and GC Server then there is a large load on the
server. If your server is a Gig connection and depending on the amount of
traffic it should be ok but, it is always better to offset the amount of
traffic on that server.

Long story short, if you have enough servers keep the Exchange a Member server.

Just my option.