RE: Exchange 2K and Win2K migration

  • From: "Lomker, Michael" <mlomker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:49:59 -0500

> Is it plausible to do a clean install of W2K and E2K on a new
> harddrive the databases are small) and copy over exchange 5.5
> information stores?

Well, that depends on what you mean.  If you are suggesting that you are going
to copy your databases and then do an in-place upgrade of the databases on a
second box then sure.  The issue is that the copied databases are going to
become stale and you'll have new messages on the other server.

This is a much bigger upgrade than you might realize.  My company might be
larger than yours (2 dozen servers and 3 Exchange servers) but I spent about 6
months going from NT4/Exch5.5 to Win2k/Exch2k.

How many servers do you have?  PDC/BDC's?  If it is just one box then maybe I
would do it entirely offline using a 2nd server and then just swap them.
Another approach is to build a an Exchange box and just move the mailboxes to
the new box one at a time.

In any case, I think you should consider the Win2k upgrade and the Exch2k
upgrade as TWO projects.  Doing both at once is too much, imho.