Exchange 2K Open Relay

  • From: "Jason Richards" <administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 02:36:36 -0600

Hi,

We have recently had a major issue with Exchange Server 2000 after
installing SP2 for exchange.

There is a bug in the service pack that opens the exchange server to open
relay.

I have discussed this a number of technical people and it is a bug known
to Microsoft.

To solve the problem I have had to specifically use Reverse DNS lookup on
all email and specify our domains and subnets to exchange, which is very
CPU intensive .

Even this does not close all the holes for relay only 7 out o 8 of the
Abuse.net relay tests.

Microsoft say it will be fixed in Service Pack 3.

In the meantime I would not recommend installation of SP2 for Exchange.

If you check this out it may help to stop loads of open relays from
responsible System Admins like who will be unaware of what the SP will do
to their mail servers.

Sincerely

Jason Richards
Network Administrator