Exchange 2003 winmail.dat

  • From: "Craig A. Weil" <craig_weil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:26:02 -0800

Hi all,

About a week ago we added an Exchange 2003 server to our organization with
plans to move our current users from our Exchange 2000 server.  All the
prerequisites for adding this second server (including the tests recommended
before install) were met and the install ation went well.  As is the case with
most new implementations, I was the guinnea pig and moved my mailbox over to
the new server (2003) and I continued to receive emails as normal.

I was informed recently that when I send an email with an attachment or (god
forbid) a stationery background to a user for which their mailbox still resides
on the Exchange 2000 server, the email appears with a winmail.dat file in the
Attachments section and the body of the message is missing.  When a user on the
E2K server sends me emails with attachments or backgrounds, I receive them fine.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks!

Craig