[ExchangeList] Exchange 2003 to 2007 Via backup Exec

  • From: "John Parker" <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 18:39:11 -0500

Hey all...

We currently have a 2003 server standard running exchange 2003 Enterprise.
It is on it¹s last leg and we are replacing it.

We are getting our new server in tomorrow.
I will be installing Server 2008 64bit and Exchange 2007 Std.

Once all of this is installed I intend to restore the individual exchange
2003 mailboxes to the 2007 machine from backup exec 11d.
Also, to make things go faster, I am also running the backup to disk using a
backup to disk folder I created.

my consultant sources say that this will work.

So... My intention is to shut down the smtp service and then perform a
backup.
Once Backup is complete, then I assume that I install a Backup exec agent on
the 2007 box and then restore the individual mail boxes.

I am also assuming that I will need to go to the new server afterwards and
reconnect the mail boxes?
Or can I use the ³Recreate user accounts and mailboxes² feature within
Backup Exec?

Am I correct in this ideology?

Thank you for your help in this.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL MESSAGE AND IN ANY ACCOMPANYING
ATTACHMENT IS A
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION. IT IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF
THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT OR RECIPIENTS. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR THE EMPLOYEE
OR AGENT
RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER THIS EMAIL TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY
NOTIFIED THAT ANY
DISCLOSURE, COPYING OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS TRANSMISSION IS
STRICTLY
PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US
IMMEDIATELY BY PHONE.