RE: Exchange 2003 recovery server failures

  • From: <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:36:59 -0500

In order to restore to a restore server you need to make sure settings are
identical. These are the steps

1. Create new forest new domain name, give new hostname
2. Install AD 4. Install Exchange, make sure your Exchange org name is the same
as your production org name
3. Make sure servers are patched exactly the same or mounting will fail.
4. Make sure all DB locations, log path partions are the same.

You prob did this already. If your 2003 was a product of a 5.5 migration, than
mounting will fail because the legacydn of the restore server does not match
the legacydn of the production server.

1. Open command prompt. Type ldifde -f c:\exchange.txt -d "CN=Microso ft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=fabrikom,DC=com" -p subtree 2. Open
the file Exchange.txt. In the text file search for "First Administrative Org"
There may be up to 25 entries. When you encounter the first match you need to
locate it in adsiedit and change First Administrative Org to the Exchange org
name of your production Exchange. 3. Once you have found the first match. Open
run box and enter adsiedit.msc (From windows support tools) 4. If you're
familiar with adsiedit you need to go to your Exchange Configuration Container
à Services à Microsoft Exchange. You should see your org name. Most of the
matches will be within this subfolder. Find the match and change the legacydn
of your restore server (first admin org) to match the orginal org name. So
basically anywhere you see "First Administrative Org" you need to change to
your production org name. If you do not do this mounting will fail. Not sure if
you're even getting to this part since you cannot even do a restore yet. What I
encountered was I was able to restore but not mount since there was a mismatch
in the legacydn, but I was using netbackup.

Site has a legacydn tool to do search and replace, but never did it that way.
Also do you see anything in the event logs?