Exchange 2003 Upgrade

  • From: "P. Kay" <pkay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:21:40 -0500

Getting ready to upgrade from Exchange 2K and nativeWindows 2K.  I have 3
big questions.

Because my Domain Controllers are still at Native Win 2k, does it matter if
I put my Exchange 2003 on a Win2003 server; or should I keep my Exchange
2003 on a Win 2K server?

If we are running Outlook 2002, and upgrade to Exchange 2003; do we have to
purchase Outlook 2003 cals or can the clients still run Outlook 2002?

When we upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000, we had a huge problem
with duplicate mailboxes.  I believe the problem MAY have been because we
run our internet e-mail on non-trusted server on the other side of the
firewall, using MDaemon mail.  MDaemon does not use Active Directory.  The
mail is of course not delivered through Exchange, but through the Outlook
client.  The reason I think this caused the duplication is because not every
client has internet e-mail and the only duplicated accounts were those who
had an internet e-mail.  Do you think we'll have this problem again when we
upgrade to Exchange 2003?  Since we had to use Active Directory Connector to
upgrade to Exchange 2000, does an upgrade to Exchange 2003 require using
Active Directory Connector again?

We will NOT be using an in-place upgrade; as we need to implement new
hardware.

Thanks SO much in advance!

P. Kay Nuernberger

Systems Analyst/Exchange Administrator