[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange 2003 Mail Store Question

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:34:23 -0700

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------The interesting thing about this thread is it sounds to me like you are working through the problem backwards. The way you have written this, your legal department is designing the solution. Why not gather their requirements in regular business terms, and design the solution from there? That way you have a concise list of goals that you (and possibly others) can use to determine the approach(es) to meet those goals.

It's really impossible to say based on the information provided whether the solution proposed is the right one or not. I've seen similar solutions implemented successfully.

I also think it's a tad presumtious to say whether or not the solution as proposed will survive discovery requirements. With proper process, security and documentation it certainly can do so. In any event, the technical capabilities and limitations of any solution should be presented to the legal department (in writing) mapped against the requirements. It's then their decision as to its ability to meet their legal standard - after all, they are the ones that may need to defend it. All you should do is clearly tell them (again, formally and in writing) what can or cannot be done with the solution options, and recommend what best meets their requirements as they have defined them.

Rick

On Jul 3, 2009, at 12:07 PM, "Brian Pituley" <bpituley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unless it's a real archiving system it's doubtful that any discovery results would stand up under rigorous legal circumstance. That should be enough on its own to tip the decision in favour of a real archiving system.

Brian Pituley
Director of Information Technology
T: 408-441-3611
F: 408-441-8405