Exchange 2003 - Mail Guard - Symantec SMTP

  • From: "Keith Duemling" <keith.duemling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:05:58 -0400

Exchange List,

Thank you in advance for your help with this issue.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this situation and found a
resolution.

Scenario: Windows 2003 AD environment with Exchange 2003 Server.
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP v4.0 running on a Windows 2003 Server to
filter inbound email.  A Cisco PIX firewall with Mail Guard enabled to
provide additional mail protection.  CIO has decided that Mail Guard
must either stay enabled during Exchange 2003 rollout, or replaced with
something else to provide the current level of protection.  When we
disable Mail Guard, a large increase in incoming spam is detected.

There is a lot of information out there regarding functionality issues
between Cisco Mail Guard and Exchange 2003 as stated in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320027.

During out testing, we do not have problems receiving mail from the
Internet bound for a test DNS namespace with MX records that point
towards our test Exchange 2003 environment.  We are considering
following Symantec support's recommendation that we route outbound
Exchange traffic through a smart host to the Symantec Mail Security for
SMTP server to filter and then deliver through the PIX.  Symantec
support states that Symantec Mail Security for SMTP is compatible in
nature with the command set that Mail Guard allows traffic with.  They
also state that customers are actively using this implementation at this
time, and this isn't a "might work" solution.

My questions are;

1) Has anyone else used this solution to address a Mail Guard / Exchange
2003 implementation?

2) Is anyone aware of solution that will allow Mail Guard and Exchange
to co-exist without third party applications acting as a proxy (i.e.
configuration adjustments on either end)?

Any additional thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Keith Duemling

\\end

Disclaimer: This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be
privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, then delete and destroy the original message and
all copies. You should not copy, forward and/or disclose this message, in whole
or in part, without permission of the sender.