RE: Exchange 2003 ESM manage Exchange 2000

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:11:09 -0500

According to Evan, no.

"Some additional scenarios that are not supported. Non-support for .NET and
Windows XP scenarios (slide 9). Installation of Exchange 2000 (the released
version) and Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3 is not possible on Microsoft
Windows .NET servers or Windows XP (either Professional or Home Edition).
This is primarily because Exchange 2000 service packs do upgrades only. You
can't slipstream and install a service pack for Exchange 2000. That means in
order for Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3 to be applied to a server, you must
first have installed Exchange 2000 (the released version). Since the
released version of Exchange 2000 cannot install on .NET or XP, then neither
can the SP3 update. "

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http://support.microsoft.com%2Fservicedes
ks%2Fwebcasts%2Fen%2Fwc080602%2Fwct080602.asp

The intended implementation of E2K ESM on XP or .NET is to use RDP to remote
to the Exchange server (I know, I know, that breaks security best practice)
to administer the Exchange servers.  That's why Exchange 2003 exists :)

Al