Exchange 2003 Cluster Question

  • From: "Jose Medeiros" <josemedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:10:52 -0800

Hi Jeff,

I do not believe that the Compaq StorageWorks 4314 is a SAN ( Storage Area
Network ). This unit appears to be a DAS. To qualify as a SAN it generally
has to run Fibre Channel. However the NAS vendors are now trying to
re-market there NAS devices as a SAN suggesting that you also put in a
separate 1Gb or better copper lan, then technically that would also make a
NAS Storage Array using ISCSI device a SAN.  Keep in mind that any more then
30 milliseconds of write delay can cause corruption in an Exchange Database,
that is why a real Fibre Channel SAN is preferred when it comes to Exchange
Servers. Fibre Channel does not have the overhead that TCP/IP does when
using ISCSI especially when you enable error checking in digest mode (
Highly Recommended ). TCP/IP offload cards from Adaptec, Qlogic, Emulex and
others solve this, however that also adds to the cost. In my opinion ISCSI
has a promising future and works well in small environments or in a
dedicated 1GB lan.

Here is a link that you may want to look at:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/msa1500cs/index.html

Regards,

Jose Medeiros :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Moscone" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>