RE: Exchange 2003, Archiving and PST's

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:01:26 -0700

1. You questions indicate you have little MS Exchange knowledge. It is
extremely important that you understand how Exchange works.

2. There is no such thing as PST files on the Exchange server. Mail boxes
are held in the Information Store, which is a database.

3. Outlook e-mail archiving function, unless there are policies set by the
admin, remove e-mail items from the Exchange Information store and place
them into an archive PST file on the users computer, unless it is configured
for another location.

4. Unless there is a specific need to archive to a per user PST file, (such
as if users desire to keep 6 years worth of messages but the company does
not want to have that large of a Information Store) it is simpler for backup
and disaster recovery to leave the messages on the Exchange server.

John T
eServices For You