Exchange 2000 virtual server header

  • From: "McWhirter,Julia" <julia.mcwhirter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:05:03 -0000

Hello,

I have a problem with some information that exchange adds to e-mail
headers and was wondering if this was configurable within exchange.

To explain we have a number of internal unix/linux machines that we use
to compile open source code we also then automate updates to mailing
lists like via e-mail.  The e-mail goes from the linux/unix box to the
exchange server via sendmail/virtual server (both on our intranet) out
to an SMTP relay server in our DMZ then onto the destination.

Exchange adds the Received from: header as <logname>@localhost.  It also
adds the X-OriginalArrivalTime: header.  This never used to be a problem
but most mailhosts have improved there anti-spam rules recently and
these messages get rejected.

My current workaround is to bypass the exchange server and go directly
to the SMTP relay but this is not my ideal solution.

Regards
Julia McWhirter
IT Manager

SuperH (UK) Ltd