Exchange 2000 system error 128 and services stopping

  • From: "tony" <tonyw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 00:24:32 -0600

I gotta serious problem with my Exchange 2000 Server that maybe someone
shed some light on.

But first the specs...I am running a single Exchange 2000 Server with
Exchange SP3 on Windows 2000 SP4 (All latest post SP4 hotfixes) on a DELL
2400 server running RAID 1, 1.5 Gb RAM

3rd Party Software running:
MaxCompression email attachement compression software
GFIMail Essentials Anti-SPAM Software
Trendmicro Interscan Anti-virus software

Now the problem:

Part A

Server ramdomly re-boots  (on average once every 4 or 5 days) after the
following msg appears on the screen:
"c:\winnt\services.exe has encountered system error 128 and will restart
in 60 seconds"
Have scanned the machine for viruses and trojans but all clean.

Part B

Following services randomly stop ( on average once every 2-3 days) but all
these services stop together.

NNTP
Exchange Routing Service
SMTP