Exchange 2000 could not start information store

  • From: "Jules Birch" <jules.birch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:26:45 -0700

Hi

I have a problem with Exchange Server 2000.  It appears that there was a
virus attack by a virus named W32.EVAMAN.  The Norton anti virus software
seemed to have done  something and now the Information store does not
load.

I have checked that there is free space on the Exchange drive (there is
732MBy) and that the PRIV1.EDB and STM files are only taking up around 2
Gby

When the Exchange services start up they take a long time and eventually
fail with error code 1053 ?Could not start Exchange Information store on
Local Computer?

The application Event log is full to overflowing with messages.  The most
common message is:-

The description for Event ID ( 9074 ) in Source ( MSExchangeSA ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may
be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
3f0.

I have run ESEUTIL with the /g option.

I have noticed that there are 2 files named E00 in the MDBDATA folder.
One of them is labelled as ?Recovered File Fragment? and is 8Kbytes in
size in Windows Explorer and the is 5120KB in size.

I suspect that these files may be the cause of the problem.

Is there any method of troubleshooting whether this is the cause of the
problem and of correcting the error?

Best regards

Jules Birch