Re: Exchange 2000 and Symantec Anti Virus

  • From: "andy fairley" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:59:56 -0000

We have Symantec Anti Virus Corporate edition installed on our Exchange 2000
server. The Anti Virus filtering for Exchange works fine with all the default
settings. I get regular warnings about attachments beings removed etc. The only
warning is to make sure that you configure the default scan of the other anti
virus engine (The NAV anti virus that protect the other files on the server) to
not scan any of the exchange files (The logs etc or drive M:) There is an
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base about virus scanning Exchange servers.
I only worked out the problem when it became clear that something catastrophic
was happening to calendars and the event logs were filling up on a Sunday
afternoon, when basically nobody was using the system.

Good Luck

Andy Fairley
Library and Information Services Manager
Opera North