Exchange 2000 and PKI

  • From: "Spelt, Martijn" <M.spelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList] (E-mail)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:45:06 +0100

Hi,

We are thinking about security of the email services at our network, we have
exchange 2000 servers, smtp gateways on unix and 3 firewall's
The goal is to rise the security level of our internal email process, such as
user authentication and content checking of all email send.
At first we were thinking about PKI, but I've spoken with some colleges and a
engineer for Microsoft technical support, and implementing PKI seems to be a
real challenge/impossible.
According to Microsoft pki is not working properly on windows 2000, maybe on
windows 2003, but they are not for sure if that's true.
I would like to know if anyone has past experience with pki or other
authentication methods... The basic thing we want to accomplish is that each
email send is really from the
official owner of the email address, so it has to be some kind of user
authentication and not session authentication, and it has to work on different
platforms (microsoft/novell/unix), and different user input devices
(workstation,pda,thinclient,wireless lan).
For the content checking I was thinking towards GFI software, Mail essentials,
security.
I would like to hear your experience especially with pki

Thanks

Martijn Spelt
SR. System Engineer  Technology Solutions Microsoft
Inter Access B.V. Creating Value in the EUR-conomy
Marathon 5 1213 PC Hilversum
Postbus 840 1200 AV Hilversum
Telefoon +31 (0)35 688.84.00
Fax +31 (0)35 688.85.52