Re: Exchange 2000 SMTP Access Connection config

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:10:03 -0500

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:46:10 -0600, Stephan Barr <bdtsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is router blocking the best only thing we can do?

Since you have reported the network abuse (spamming) issue and are
blocking the IP's (hopefully all of them) of the spammers mail
servers, then yah it's the best you can do for this particular
situation.

As for a long term solution, and depending on how much spam you get, I
would personally recommend Postini or a similar managed
anti-spam/virus system as your frontline defense.
Contact me off-list and I will provide contact info for a vendor
offering a no-obligation trial for 60 days.

I personally don't have the time to manage these in-house anti-spam
systems, nor do I believe they are worth the time that many people
spend on them. However, I am fortunate, because I convinced management
that these other systems were high maintenance and high risk for
increased false-positives - blocking (or even worse - email loss)
legitimate emails.

I have used more than a half-dozen other anti-spam systems, so I am
not talking out of my a$$. In the two months that we have been using
the aforementioned system, we have greatly decreased maintenance, junk
and viruses reaching inboxes, and have lost zero legitimate emails.
Productivity is up and so is the attitude towards the IT department.

(I have no connection Postini, nor do I subscribe that there isn't any
good competition. I have just had good success with them.)

> Does DNSBL accomplish anything?  I'm still full from yesterday.

Sure, it will help, but what if it causes your Pres. to loose a legit
email? Test it out and see how well it works for your organization.
DNSBL has been around for ages and has been pretty successful.

...D