Exchange 2000 Multiple Instant Messaging Servers

  • From: "Jason Lehrhoff" <JLehrhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:14:31 -0700

In preperation for my Exchange 2003 upgrade, I want to move the IM
services to another box. So I installed Exchange 2000 on another server,
but only the Instant Messaging/System Manager. (sp's... etc.)
I created an IM server in the RVP protocol section of the System Admin,
and then a SRV record for the new server. However, the old IM server is
still active on the same network. Is this an issue? I can't connect to it,
and worse, I can't connect back to the old server. I deleted the new IM
server instance, and its SRV record as well.

can more than one IM server host user accounts on the same network? how is
it done?I didn't find anything specific this on MS or google.