Exchange 2000: Ghost Mailbox - Can't delete!

  • From: "Wakelin, Frank" <fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:20:22 -0800

I'm hoping someone can help me here...

We recently installed a second exchange server in our site (in order to migrate
users to a SAN-connected server).  The move went fairly well with the exception
of one mailbox which seems to be "stuck".  What I mean is that the move mailbox
process crashed during the move, as a result the mailbox for that user appears
in both places:

- The original mailbox on server1 is intact with all messages, etc.  User is
still accessing their mail using this server.
- The new mailbox was created on server2 but contains no messages.  It appears
with a red X to indicate that it is not joined to an account.

The problem is that I can't delete that second account.  Although the icon
indicates that it is a disjoined account, if I choose PURGE it says that it can
not be deleted as it has been joined to an account.  If I choose reconnect it
fails indicating that the mailbox has already been reconnected.

Moving the mailbox fails now likely because this exists on the destination
server.

HELP!