Exch2k3 migration to different AD, Forest

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:05:52 -0500 (EST)

I am migrating an Exchange server with about 100 users from one
Geographical location to another.  There are about 100 mailboxes and over
100GB of mailbox space so migrating all content over the Internet is not
feasible.  Furthermore, the new and old Exchange servers are not related to
each other in any way such as AD, GC, Forest, and no trust relationships.
It is a pure Internet (TCP/IP and no NetBios etc) interconnection between
old and new servers, not even a VPN.

Here is the procedure I am following:

a) On the old sever, use Exmerge to export the mailboxes to PST files and
save to a USB drive Use CSVDE and LDIFDE to export the users and groups
and save to same USB drive.

b) Ship USB drive to new location.

c) On new server, used LDIFDE and/or CSVDE to recreate users and groups.

d) On new server, import all the PST files 9which by now are a few days

My questions are:

1) Is this a "best practice" method for these circumstances or is there a
better way to do this?

2) After all the users are created and mailboxes imported, how do I
"synchronize" the two servers (old and new) so that the mailboxes on the
new server are "up to date" before I switch over the DNS?  Otherwise I
will either have a gap of a few days in the mailboxes, or I will need to
all Exchange services completely on the old server for 1-2 days while the
USB drive is being exported, shipped, and imported? (the incoming email
would be diverted to a store-and-forward secondary mailserver during this
process, of course).  Needless to say, stopping the Exchange server for
any length of time is not feasible since these are busy users who rely
heavily on their email.

best regards