Exch2k SP3 broke my server!

  • From: "Chris Nielsen" <cnielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:41:25 -0700

My main Exchange server here won't let me schedule any backups with
ntbackup anymore.

I had set it up a while ago to backup the System State on a rotating
schedule, and those backups were working fine for weeks. One of the last
steps finalizing my Exchange setup was to install Service Pack 3. That
went ok, so I decided Exchange was in good working order and proceeded
to set up some incremental and normal Exchange backups on a good
schedule. The backups would not stick! I thought it might just be the
weird way ntbackup interfaces to Exchange to back it up, but Exchange
was on this machine when I set up the System State backups and they
worked fine. I tried to schedule new file backups, really simple ones
like a single folder, nothing to do with Exchange. They would not stick
either!

A friend of mine told me it seemed like he'd seen this before and that
deleting all scheduled backup jobs and starting over did the trick for
him. So I deleted my existing System State backups and tried from
scratch. Still nothing! So now I'm stuck with no System State backups on
top of it... argh.

Anybody has seen this before or have any clues? Time to call MS?

TIA

Chris Nielsen

Systems Administrator

New Dawn Technologies