RE: Event 9582 on Non-Clustered Server

  • From: "ONG Liang Bu (CSC)" <lbong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:01:04 +0800

Chris,

Do you go to eventid.net and it point to this technet article.
Microsoft actually suggest for a server with >2G memory to
run it on Advance Server.

From: Q302254:
IMPORTANT: Note that it is not recommended that you run Windows 2000 Server
with anything more than 2 GB of memory (that is, do not use the /3GB
switch), when you are running Exchange 2000 because anything over that
amount is unused. If the Store.exe process runs out of virtual address
space, the memory is all on the server. To get the best use out of the added
memory, run Windows 2000 Advanced Server, not Windows 2000 Server. The /3GB
switch has advantages only when you use it on a Windows 2000 Advanced
Server-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q302254
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q302254>
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9582
<http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9582&source> &source=

We are in the middle of migration, we have 4 servers, each
with 4 CPU and 4 G memory, all server will be installed with
Advance server.

This is something new to me also.

Date:                11/1/2002

Time:                1:27:28 PM

User:                N/A

The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented  in
such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended
that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.

I have read the KB articles pertaining to this error, but they refer to
Windows 2000 Advanced Server with more than 3GB or RAM (using the /3GB
option in the .ini file).  They also say this really is only a problem for
Active/Active Clusters.  This is a stand alone server, no Cluster
configuration.  Is this error still a problem?  If so, what are our options?

Thank you

Chris

Chris Lembo

Akibia Network & Security Solutions