Event 290 Direc tory Operation Failed

  • From: "Rich Tibbets" <rtibbets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:03:54 -0700

Hi all,
I have a mixed Exchange 5.5 /2000 sigle site.  I added another E2K server
the other day all went fine.  No errors noted in event viewer.  I moved a
test account over to it.  Now when sending an email to this account I get
an NDR and an event 290 is entered in the 5.5 Server. Any help would be

Event 290:
Event Type:     Warning
Event Source:   MSExchangeMTA
Event Category: X.400 Service
Event ID:       290
Date:           3/11/2004
Time:           10:00:56 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       PLATO
A non-delivery report (reason code directory-operation-unsuccessful and
diagnostic code Omit any diagnostic code) is being generated for message
C=us;A= ;P=national corpora;L=PLATO0403111500GHAGH8Z6. It was originally
RESEARCH/ou=NYCITY/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=KUMAR§ (recipient number 3), and was
to be redirected to . [MTA DISP:RESULT 18 136] (12)