[ExchangeList] Errors: you do not have permission

  • From: "Steve Iltis" <siltis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:15:40 -0500

Lately I have seen more "you do not have permission" messages in
Exchange/Outlook but I do not know why. Originally, I thought that the
problem was at the receiving end (instead of a problem at my end) but
since several users have brought this to my attention I am more
concerned. We are able to send most e-mails properly - only a few have
had this problem.

I have given two examples - and I also have the DNSReport.com report for
my site and 1 other listed below.

We have two Exchange servers - one of them is used primarily for
disaster recovery purposes.

Main Exchange server: Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2000.

Secondary Exchange server: Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003. [It is
always on but the site is separate.]

Example 1 error:

Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.

Example 2: In a separate incident last week:                    The
following recipient(s) could not be reached:

<mailto:rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  on 04/06/2006 1:31 PM

assistance, contact your system administrator.

            <mecmail1.MEC.DOM #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
<mailto:rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >

For brevity I have left out the DNSReports, but you can view them here.
The first one is for my company.

The second one is for the company in Example 1.

Thanks for any help any of you can give.

Steve Iltis
Metal Exchange Corporation
(314) 434-3500 x166