Error while configuring Outlook "The name could not be matched to a name in the address list

  • From: nimaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:34:58 -0600

Hi,
 I am programmatically trying to configure ExchangeServer 2003 to support
multiple virtual organizations.
 To do that I am creating 
 -- OrganizationUnit
 -- Security Group
 -- Global Address List
 -- Address List
 -- Offline Address List
for every virtual organization.

I have updating the security setting for 
 -- Default Global Address List
to deny all users belonging to the any Organization Security Group. On
doing this organization users will not be able to view all other users.

I have also updated the security setting for
 -- All Address Lists
to not allow "read"/"list contents". Doing this, I am avoiding the user
from not to access "All Users"

Now, when I create "Global Address List" for an Organization, I give
"read" / "list contents" / "read address list" for the Organization's
Security Group. Doing this I am allowing user to read only organization
specific Global Address Lsit.

After creating an Virtual Organization, I create user for the organization
and add the user as member for the organization's security group.

Now, when I try to setup outlook for the newly created user, I get the
following error message "The name could not be matched to a name in the
address list." while doing "Check name".

I checked the user profile and found that the "Recipient Update Policy" is
also working fine
i.e. able to see "showInAddressBook" attribute for the user. Logically,
the user should be able to search his/her entry in the Organization's
Global Address List and I must not get this error.

Using "System Manager", I went and opened the properties for the
Organizations' Global Address List and just clicked on OK button and now
the error is gone. Now, I am able to setup the outlook for the user.

This happens only for the first user of a new virtual organization. Once I
go and open the properties window  for the Organizations' Global Address
List and just clicked on OK button all works fine. I am just not able to
understand whats going on. It seems to me that the security settings are
not getting applied to the Global Address List through the script but when
I open the properties window  for the Organizations' Global Address List
and just clicked on OK button, the security settings are getting applied.

Is there a way to come across this. 

I need urgent solution.

Thanks,
Nimai


Other related posts:

  • » Error while configuring Outlook "The name could not be matched to a name in the address list