RE: Enterprise Email Architecture (Distributed Datacentre vs. Single Datacentre)

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:11:25 -0400

Couple of other options that come to mind would be dependent on the number
of ISPs you have as well as the exact goal of what you want to accomplish.
Typically, as Mark points out, you can use DNS round-robin techniques to
specify a host in the east and a host in the west (or multiples) all with
the same domain name.  You could go so far as to have two different ISP's;
one in the east and one in the west each hosting the network connectivity
and possibly the DNS records (they need to be identical) for your domain
with the goal to be redundant or at least fault tolerant mail delivery.

Keep in mind that the mailstore of the recipient has to be available for
this to really mean something, but what you describe is possible and a
normalized way of architecting a national solution (or even international
for that matter).  This type of thinking may also lead to
redundancy/failover concepts at the mailstore level (i.e. geoclustering,
etc.)

You probably want to look at the RFC 821/822 and 2821/2822 as well as
relevant DNS rfc's to see what the thinking is around the DNS round robin
approach. Also, have a look for documents that describe web hosting
datacenter architecture as they are very similar in concept to what you are
trying to do.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact offline.

Al