Enterprise Email Architecture (Distributed Datacentre vs. Single Datacentre)

  • From: "Wakelin, Frank" <fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:58:27 -0700

I was wondering if any national/multi-city organizations out there could
share a little info with me, or if you know of any "best practises"
resources out there point me in the right direction.  I'm looking for
case-studies or best practices in setting up multiple email entry points
within an organization; the main justification being fault-tolerance.
I'm trying to justify multiple entry points from cities in the east to
cities in the west, as opposed to a simply 1 or 2 entry points in the
east.  Emails would be received by servers distributed in data-centres
from east to west running identical email gateway software and
configurations (anti-spam/content filtering/anti-virus).

Does anyone have any resources or stories to share?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated...
FRANK WAKELIN
NETWORK ANALYST
  tel: (604) 640-4096 (direct)