Email message destinations

  • From: "Ron Leach" <rleach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:26:42 -0500

Good Afternoon,

Our environment is as follows:

Our internet mail server is hosted by a 3rd party (offsite).  We have
Exchange 2000 in house.

When configuring outlook I usually setup a pop3 account to connect to
internet mail server and then I setup an Exchange mail account for
everything else.

When a user performs a send/receive operation what happens to their email?
Is the internet email downloaded to the exchange mailboxes?  If they are
downloaded to exchange does the message leave the exchange server and then
reside in the client's outlook folders?

I just want to get a clear picture of how the process works with Exchange