E-mail Harassment - Sleuth work

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:43:43 -0500

Okay everyone, I need to do some investigative work and I need your help....

We have this 'person' sending harassing e-mails into our organization using
an AOL account and I need to determine the owner of the AOL alias address.

We suspect the e-mails are coming from an ex-employee that has had a history
of sending similar e-mails into our org, but every time we block his account
he creates another.  This guy is not the sharpest tool around...  He was
originally using e-mail accounts with his name in them such as
'First.Last@xxxxxxxxxx'.  Now he is using an AOL.com e-mail address without
his name in the address.  Guess he doesn't realize that AOL can find his
real name and info if we push it that far.

Here is what I have done so far:

- I have enabled logging on our routers to determine when internal people
visit AOL sites.  This way I could associate internal visits with the time
that messages arrived.  After searching the machines related to the IP's,
this is definitely not coming from an internal person.

- I have called AOL to report the case and of course they will not provide
the user's name or any other info.  They will verify that the alias is an
active account, but I have to contact the authorities and have them request
the owner's information...

- I have searched the web for the e-mail address to see if there have been
any postings made by this alias.  There are none...

HR does not want me to block the address until we can determine who the
sender is.  Mgt. has asked me to try every way possible to determine the
sender before Law Enforcement is brought in.

What would you do next to determine the real identity of this AOL alias
address?

Regards,

Chris